RECIPE l Sweet Potato And Coconut Soup

You know when you just get something in to your head and there's no telling you? Well I've been flirting with this soup idea for a while now. It's not even particularly creative, but I wanted to recreate a certain type of soup that I totally obsess over when I come across it in a restaurant or cafe. I'm never quite sure what is in it exactly, but it's usually bright orange, silky in texture, and there is definitely some form of coconut milk in the mix. 

Last Friday I sent himself to do the food shopping. This is a fairly big deal for a control freak like myself. I managed to keep myself sane by equipping him with a detailed shopping list. For a few weeks there we brought Billy with us - had him bathed, fed and in his PJs and he was relatively happy sitting in the trolley as we zipped around ALDI. There's a lot to be said for those €10 off vouchers let me tell you. So besides me constantly stopping to wrestle the little dangley trolley key out of Billy's mouth, it was a good time! That is no longer the case though. Billy is going through a very intense phase at the moment where he generally hates life and everyone in it. OK so not really, but he hates the car-seat, dinner time, when people talk, having his nappy changed, his cot, bed time, noise and basically anything that's not drinking water from my glass. It's been stressful and difficult because I'm back to work now. Not a coincidence, I know. So happy Friday evening family shopping is no more. Instead I put Billy to bed, himself does the food shopping, and by the time he gets home the house is calm and we order a take-away. It's a nice little set up actually. 

Men like to buy things that aren't on lists. I've learned that. Thankfully in our case they are usually good buys such as cookie-dough ice-cream (that will not make me skinny, I know) and random tins of coconut milk. Such a tin of coconut milk was bought last week along with some sweet potatoes. I knew I could make a bit of magic happen with those two sexy ingredients. So off I trotted. I made it up as I went along. It worked. It was delicious. We all ate it for lunch that day and I had enough for about five lunch-portions for Billy. I was delighted with myself, shining my domestic hailo for the rest of the day. 


                                         

It had the most wonderful texture. It was so unbelievably silky. Between sweet potatoes and coconut milk it would want to really. So I thought I'd share it with you. It's rare that I will actually remember a recipe that I've just thrown together. But I do, so maybe you'll give it a bash. Or maybe you won't. Either way I still feel a bit deadly for making this work. 

                                            

You Will Need

One MASSIVE sweet potato or about 4 normal sized ones (you know the long thin ones that come in a packet)
1 tin of coconut milk 
1 yellow pepper 
2 carrots
1 large onion 
2 cloves of garlic 
salt/pepper to taste (I didn't add salt as it was for Billy also. And really, it didn't need it).
Usually I would use some sort of stock cube, but we didn't actually have any. Instead I just used enough boiling water to cover the vegetables. You could throw in a stock cube if you wanted to. Chicken or vegetable would work well. 
1 teaspoon of curry powder and any other spices you want to add. I used curry powder, turmeric, coriander and ginger. 

Recipe 

  1. Peel and chop the sweet potatoes, onion and carrots. Chop coarsely, but small enough to quicken up the cooking process. 
  2. Chop the yellow pepper and the garlic. 
  3. In a saucepan douse in a bit of olive oil and saute the onions for a few minutes. Then add the carrot, peppers, sweet potato and garlic. Only add the garlic at the end as it burns very quickly and we don't want that now do we. 
  4. Stir for a few minutes and cover the vegetables in boiling water. 
  5. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 30 minutes or until all veg is cooked and nice and soft. 
  6. Add the tin of coconut milk, curry powder and any herbs and spices you want to use. 
  7. Stir well and simmer on a low heat for about 20 minutes. 
  8. Using a hand-held blender blitz everything until a thick smooth soup is formed. 
  9. Serve with fresh brown bread


Enjoy

                       

Labels: , ,