Bathing In Porridge Oats

I wanted to pass on this little piece of advice that a friend of mine gave to me recently. 

To give you a bit of background, Billy has very sensitive skin. Since he was a newborn he always reacted to any kind of product. I fell for the romantic marketing and bought the Johnsons products, which as it turns out are really harsh on babies' skin. Knowing no better, I just assumed this was the product that you are supposed to use. The power of advertising eh?

Soon after this we changed to using just Silcocks base. This can be used as a cream rubbed in to the skin, or mixed through bath water to use as a wash also. It has a lovely soft consistency and with warm water is the perfect combination for a baby's delicate skin. 

When he reached about ten months we decided to try Billy with some of the products that are aimed at very sensitive skin. I was hopeful about two brands in particular, but unfortunately they made his skin dry and irritated like every other product. We reverted back to using good old Silcocks base or Aqueous cream. 

His skin has developed little Eczema type patches, mostly on his back. They tend to flare up when he's been in the bath, triggered by the warm water, and then they calm down. Recently he wasn't well with an ear and throat infection and they flared up worse than ever. Apparently this can happen with a virus or infection. 

When it flared up particularly badly, a friend of mine recommended bathing him in porridge oats. I had never heard about this before and I was instantly intrigued. So far this week we've given him two "oat baths" and I have to say they are just gorgeous. The oats make the water silky smooth, it's easy peasy to make, and his skin felt beautifully smooth after it. 

Next stop, an oat bath for myself. I bet it would be lovely for someone with sensitive skin or dermatitis. 

So how does it work? 

1. Get an old sock, or a piece of muslin. 
2. Fill it with a handful of regular porridge oats. 
3. Run the bath and hold the sock/muslin under the running water squeezing it. 
4. The water will start to turn a milky colour. 
5. Continue to do this until desired water has been filled in the bath. 
6. Bathe as normal.

I just thought this was such a lovely natural home-remedy for sensitive skin and it's one of those things that I will continue to do time and time again now. 

Thank you to my lovely friend Fiona for the recommendation. With two toddlers under three, and a new baby on the way in a couple of weeks, she's learned a thing or two about what works and what doesn't. She is my go-to fountain of knowledge! 



Labels: