Recipe l Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free Banana Bread.

You would really think that I would be all banana-breaded out at this stage wouldn't you? 

This is actually happening. I can't promise, but I'd be fairly certain that this will be my last banana bread recipe. I'm delighted that the sugar-free baby banana bread received such a good response. Friends and family have tried it and it's going down very well. It's nice to have a quick and easy recipe to make a "treat" for your baby/toddler/child knowing that it's sugar-free and has lots of goodness. But enough about that, you can find the recipe here if you want to give it a try! 

But this my friends, this is a different kettle of fish. She is a thing of beauty. And she is completely gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy free (eggs are not dairy).



My motivation behind this recipe is my mother. She found out that she had an intolerance to Gluten and is now coeliac and following a gluten-free diet. She's still learning as she goes, but I'm so proud of how she has adapted to the whole thing. There have been many times that we've met for lunch and there would literally be no choice for her at all. It would be a baked potato with salad, or a salad on it's own. Obviously some places are great for offering gluten-free bread and cakes as well as comprehensive menus which clearly map out the gluten-free options. But they are few and far between. One cafe in particular we would frequent quite regularly because we happen to be in the shopping centre and it's the only non fast-food option in there. They have a big sign up at the deli-counter saying "gluten-free bread available". Great news right? Nope. Literally the last three times we have been there they have had no gluten free bread available. It boils my blood. I know it's all relative, and I obviously get wound up about it on behalf of my mam, but it really is annoying. Is it really a massive deal to stock a couple of loafs of gluten-free bread?

Little rant over. 

I have been doing a bit of baking lately and several times I have heard myself utter the words "I must try make you something gluten-free". I think I said it on three different occasions. I am a woman of my word so today I woke up with the intention of making my mam something of the baked variety. I have been harping on about banana bread for ages now, showing her the baby version I made, sending a slice of the not so baby version over to my step-dad and generally talking about the different recipes I had come across. Then my cousin had been telling me about a flour-free version that she made. She had sent me on the recipe but my phone was acting up and of course I couldn't access the photo when I needed to. So I spent a good hour trawling the internet in search of the "right" recipe. There were loads of gluten-free banana bread recipes but none quite met the criteria I had. 

I basically wanted it to be sugar-free and gluten-free. Gluten-free for obvious reasons, but sugar free because I wanted to use some of the mix to make a few mini cupcakes for Billy. I found the sugar-free baby banana bread great for a little snack since I last made it, but it was now completely gone. 

Of course I could make my mam a gluten-free version and make Billy his own. But I only had three bananas, and it was too late to go to the shop. So I did my homework, researched lots of recipes, and in the end I went for... none of them. I used the parts of my cousin's recipe that I remembered from when we spoke about it, modified it to suit Billy, and mixed it with some of the ideas behind recipes I found online, as well as the best parts of my sugar-free baby banana bread, and the not so sugar-free not so baby-friendly adult banana bread that I make too. It was a bit of this and a bit of that. As I made it I knew there was a very good chance that it wasn't going to work out, but thankfully it did. 

The recipe includes honey which is not suitable for babies younger than one years of age. But that wasn't too big of an obstacle. I made the entire recipe omitting the honey and just took out some of the batter to make a few cupcakes for Billy. I then added the honey and filled the loaf tin with what would (hopefully) be my mam's gluten-free, sugar-free and dairy-free banana bread. And in a surprising twist of faith, there was actually a couple of spoonfuls of the mix leftover to make a few sneaky mini-muffins for ourselves. 

So this recipe, which is called "gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free banana bread" should actually be called "gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free banana bread + a few tiny muffins". Now that we've cleared that up, I'll get to the recipe bit. Here you go! 


You Will Need 

3 Large (or four medium sized) ripe bananas 
2 tablespoons of fruit puree of any kind. I used Supervalue 100% fruit puree pots (€2 for four pots)
180g of Ground Almond (a 200g packet cost €1.99 in Supervalu, and it was own-brand.
3/4 cup of gluten-free porridge oats 
4 medium sized eggs 
1 heaped teaspoon of cinnamon 
1 heaped teaspoon of baking powder 
3 tablespoons of (melted) coconut oil 
3 teaspoons of vanilla essence 
1 tablespoon of honey 
handful of blueberries 
handful of walnuts 

Method

- Preheat the oven to 180'C or Gas Mark 4.

1. Add the ground almond, baking powder, cinnamon, and porridge oats to a mixing bowl and mix together. 
2. Mix together the eggs, vanilla essence, melted coconut oil, and honey. 
3. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry. 
4. Using a fork mash up the bananas. Leave some chunkier bits as they add nice texture. Mix the fruit puree with the mashed bananas and add to the bowl. 
5. Chop up the walnuts and add to the bowl. Add the blueberries. 
6. Grease a loaf tin (or use spray oil/frylite) and pour the mixture in to it. 
7. Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes until dark golden brown on outside and set on the inside. 
8. Serve however you like. Great straight out of oven, or cooled with some butter. Also works well when warm with Greek Yoghurt and drizzle of honey. 



And while we're here, these are the cute little muffins I made with some of the mixture. The white poka-dotted ones are Billy's (no honey) and the orange ones are ours. I just devoured one with a cuppa, and it really hit the spot.



Literally can't cope with the cuteness of this. Two little tiny sandwich bags full of little tiny muffins. Sitting on the counter looking adorable. 



Maybe I need to get out more.... 

Labels: , , ,