Those First Few Weeks

It's amazing how much your life changes when you have a baby. It sounds like such a cliche but it really is incredible. Little things that you assumed would go on as normal literally change 360 degrees. Simple tasks like making a sandwich can take up to an hour (please note this is not an exaggeration and one day it actually took me six different trips to the kitchen to actually put the sandwich together. Every time I would leave Billy in his bouncer and walk away he would cry just as I reached the kitchen. I eventually sat down on the couch with the baby latched on to my boob feeding away and tried to eat the sandwich with the other hand that I wasn't using to support him. What resulted was my sandwich falling apart and Billy with lettuce on his head. But Billy really enjoyed his lunch...).

But life really does change for the better, hour long sandwich constructions and all. It's just the most incredible feeling in the world. I remember my aunt trying to explain it to me one day and she really did describe it very well when she said it's like you're floating on a cloud for those first few days. Even if you're in pain for whatever reason, you're sleep deprived, and you feel like you haven't a clue what you're doing and how you will look after this perfect human being properly, you just feel this unbelievable surge of love, protection and gratitude to be in this position. It is profound really. I'll never be able to put it in to words (but she'll try says you!).

I think this is a bit of a bullet-point type of post because there are quite a few things that I'd like to touch on and I don't want to write a book about it or bore you all to tears. Here are some of the things that I have noticed about these first few weeks as a first time mother. 

Those are the main things that come to mind when I look back and think about the last 5 weeks. Every single day brings new challenges and milestones. You'll wonder what you did with your days before the baby arrived. I feel like he's been here forever. The love you have for your baby is just out of this world. It's 6am now and I'm sitting up feeding Billy, and I'm looking at his little face still in utter disbelief that I am the lucky person who gets to be his mammy. 

Until next time, here are some recent photos.